Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hubby's weight loss plan: wife should not make delicious stuff!

So DH says, well, if you want to lose weight, why do you make delicious things? My thought was - what else was I supposed to do with the strawberries I so diligently picked? Or, what else can I make besides zucchini bread with the zucchini you won't eat any other way?

BUT...

I am considering some changes including using less butter (although I have two back up friends to talk me out of this one); baking less (more for special occasions than for everyday), and learning how to make more healthful meals. Right now I go to canned soup, lunch meat sandwhiches, and peanut butter and jelly for lunch too so a lunchtime makeover is also in order. First, though, my goal is to learn 10 go-to meals for dinner that are more veggie-licious, still have good protein and healthy carbs but are just healthier. I'm starting with Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'll be posting any recipes we try that pass the hubby test or are miserable failures. I'm also open to lunch ideas. Please share your go-to lunch menu and dinner time cookbook!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Andria, it's Cara! I have a suggestion with the zucchini. I went to a cooking class a few months ago, and one of the items we made was grilled zucchini. With one little change in preparation, it became a totally new vegetable to me... we cut the zucchini in about 3/4 inch slices. Put them in bowl and sprinkled liberally with kosher salt. Coat all the pieces pretty well. Then let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes. The salt pulls all the water out of the zucchini. You'll actually see a puddle at the bottom of the bowl. Then pat the pieces dry, brush off most of the salt, and drop them on a hot griddle pan or on the grill. That's it! Without the water, it stays dense and holds up to cooking. The salt also brings out the flavor. If you want to add a little extra flavor, just drizzle the pieces with olive oil when cooking. It's delicious and healthy! I'm telling you, I was shocked at how much of a difference the salt made. Give it a try, maybe that will make DH a believer. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks! Great idea. I like grilled eggplant like this but zukes will be interesting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can add pureed veggies to marinara without making much of a change to the flavor, texture, or color... It works with a variety of steamed veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea. I haven't used the recipes from the Jessica Seinfeld book too much because we eat lots of veggies but its not a bad way to get squashes in there since DH won't eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting seeing you transition for School Choice Advocate to "A Healthy Paula Deen" cook! Sounds like you enjoy it Andria. Me I drink lots of water, drink health teas from Yellow Springs, Pray and exercise often. Keep it up and I will see you on tv one day with your own show. Never despise small beginnins - I SURE DON'T!!! www.sharing-ministries.com

    ReplyDelete