Sunday, August 29, 2010

My first purposeful vegetarian dinner and what's up next

So, I went for a Greek themed dinner for my first venture into my 10 vegetarian meals from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I made homemade pita bread and pita crackers, hummus and tabouleh. It took a little prep work to have the dough pre-made and get all the needed ingredients. All the planning was worth it. This meal was BEST FOOD I  HAVE EVER EATEN. I'm not usually crazy about my own food. I don't always like hummus from the store and tabouleh I have to be in the mood for. I'm not sure if it was the freshness of the herbs from the garden or the lemon juice but it was excellent.  Definitely going on the list. The pita recipe was from Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a Day (Algerian Pita with seeds). The cracker recipe was from More with Less.

However, I caved and made Hubs some roasted chicken to go with. He stuck it in the pita with the tabouleh and really liked the hummus. So, overall a good attempt.

This week I have some turnip greens I need to use. So I was thinking about a tomato based soup with northern beans, wilted turnip greens and romano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment